Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The Best Book

The best book to my knowledge is The Road, by Cormac McCarthy. This is my favorite book for many reasons, including the interesting point of view, and the way McCarthy tells of a deep, yet eerily not too distant future. The novel's focus on the unnamed father and son create characters that are up for interpretation by the reader. Not only are the characters never named, they are never fully described, yet are familiar nonetheless. This is an odd concept, but through their adventures the reader comes to know the father and son. This is one of the reasons that I enjoy the book so much, you feel that you know a lot about these characters, though you don't even learn their names.

Another reason this is the best book i have read is because the world that the father and son inhabit is frighteningly possible. Their entire adventure doesn't focus on a single goal (except perhaps to survive) and thus leave the sense of wandering. The various events that take place also show the desperation possible of any human. This not only provided an interesting read but also a thought provoking scenario.

4 comments:

  1. I've never read The Road, but the concept of two unnamed characters in a vaguely defined, yet easily understood dystopian future is very intriguing to me. I might have to find this book...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard some very interesting things about this on--I'll have to put it on my summer reading list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sooooo interesting, putting realistic characters in a futuristic setting....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being able to relate to characters is always good. I've heard many good things about this book, and want to check it out if it's worth it. Thank you for this imformative post.

    ReplyDelete